John Cope (1879-1962), musician, Hanley
In 1924 he returned to the Potteries and resumed conducting of the North Staffordshire Symphony Orchestra. He was also organist at the Congregational church, Newcastle under Lyme, at St. Paul's church, Burslem and at Leek parish church. He was later appointed city organist to the Stoke-on-Trent corporation and was visiting music master at Newcastle High School and the Orme Boys’ School, Newcastle. He also acted as musical director and conductor of the Stoke-on-Trent Amateur Dramatic Society, and for some years was musical director of Sheffield Grand Opera.
|North Staffordshire Symphony Orchestra - John Cope through the years|
John Cope 1930 - Stoke-on-Trent Historical Pageant
Many thanks go to Ray Johnson MBE, of The Staffordshire Film Archive, for kindly supplying the now-digitised 'official film' of the event, from which the screen shots were taken.
John Cope 1947
The Bronze Bust of John Cope
|John Cope - founder conductor of the NSSO|
Presented by members of The Friends of the Orchestra, October 1947
The bust is currently in store at The Potteries Museum in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent